Features and benefits
Optum helps organisations meet the demands for efficient and high-quality patient-centred care while optimising the quality and cost of prescribing. We use pharmacy and prescribing data to improve the health of the community. This ensure the right patients get the right choice of medicine, at the right time.
Our services include:
- In-practice clinical pharmacist support
- Educational outreach and training for general practice
- Clinical programmes impacting total cost of care
- Quality- and safety-focussed interventions
- Cost management strategies
- Patient pathway review
- Incentive design to drive change
- Shared savings risk-based contracting
Robust clinical services
In-practice clinical pharmacist support
Our practice-based team includes pharmacists who focus on making a significant difference to both patients and GPs, increasing capacity and resolving day-to-day medicines issues.
Educational outreach and training
We deliver support to enable sustainable change. This empowers prescribers and pharmacists to optimise patient medication regimens using the latest evidence and best practice underpinned by shared decision-making methodology.
Our goal is to improve patient outcomes and safety. Optum can assist organisations in targeted areas such as antibiotics, polypharmacy and other high-priority initiatives.
Targeted cost saving services
We provide an initial saving diagnostic leading to a tailored programme of work. Our clinical pharmacist team helps you realise efficiencies while working with local GP practices to implement a commissioner-approved programme.
Clinical decision support solutions
We offer solutions to support medicines optimisation, including ScriptSwitch® which enables clinicians to make informed decisions at the point of prescribing.
Clinical business intelligence and analytics
Optum embeds a data-driven approach. We use data visualisation tools and analytics to review prescribing patterns and translate data into actionable intelligence.
Evidence appraisal and horizon scanning
We identify and assess clinical value, cost and utilisation of new treatments. This helps prepare both providers and commissioners for the financial impact and clinical practice changes of new therapies.
Synchronising medicines optimisation
In an exclusive partnership with Keele University’s Centre for Medicines Optimisation (KCMO), Optum delivers robust and scalable services from advisory through to implementation. We drive improvements at system and clinician level.
- End-to-end medicines management and optimisation services on the NHS Lead Provider Framework and Health Systems Support Framework
- Managing spend and appropriate use of high-cost Payment by Results (PBR)-excluded drugs
- Governance, assurance and policy formulation to support local decision-making
- Technology and analytics to effectively target patients
Impacting total cost of care
Within a value-based environment, Optum pharmacists working with patient care teams can provide value to integrated care systems. We help our clients to:
- Select treatments and interventions that can lower total cost of care
- Reduce utilisation of downstream medical interventions
- Deliver quality programmes across drug and medical intervention spend
- Manage budgets and drive efficiencies
Plans are not sufficient and sustainable for long-term improvement if not effectively implemented. Optum works with customers to see things through. Optum and KCMO have extensive experience delivering state-of-the-art medicines optimisation services and technology to the NHS.
Optum clients benefits from:
- GP practice-based support, education and training
- Technical and pharmacy expertise, including analytics and reporting
- A delivery team with an expert supply chain
- Innovative shared savings contracting models